Today’s Deadly Destination is from Em Garner‘s Velvet Ellis on Lebanon, PA from CONTAMINATED (published on July 23, 2013 by Egmont). Want to win a copy? Enter via the widget below.
Velvet’s Tips for Surviving the Contamination
- Run. No, really — you can almost always outrun a Connie. They’re angry, and they won’t hesitate to come after you, but they’re also usually clumsy and slow and easily distracted. If you can outrun them, you should be okay.
- Hide. Out of sight, out of mind, for most of them. But it’s not just the Connies you need to hide from. The soldiers and police patrolling the streets will take you in for looking at them funny, and once you’re in, you’ll be lucky to get out.
- Be cautious, but not afraid. They’re not undead. They’re not zombies. They can’t infect you, but they can bite you. And they will try to hurt you. Always.
- Be compassionate. The Contaminated are your schoolmates, your neighbors, your teachers. They are your mom and dad. Your little sister. They might even be you. And no matter how scary they are, how angry, how much they try to hurt you, always remember that they are human beings. Not things.
- And most importantly, the final tip on how to survive the Contamination…
Never, ever, drink the water.
She likes rainbows and unicorns and glitter and zombies, and she hates the feeling of corduroy, the grit of sand in her teeth (who doesn’t?) and the way banana candy tastes.
She lives by the ocean with her family, and she always goes in the water even though she’s afraid of sharks.
2 copies of CONTAMINATED
Available on July 23, 2013 by Egmont
After the Contamination – an epidemic caused by the super-trendy diet drink SlimPro that turned ordinary citizens into shambling creatures unable to control their violent impulses – the government rounded up the “Connies” to protect the remaining population. But now, two years later, the government’s started sending the rehabilitated back home, complete with shock collars that will either stop the Connies from committing violent acts or kill them before they do any further harm.
Since her parents were taken in the roundup, Velvet Ellis has struggled to care for her ten-year-old sister and maintain a sense of normalcy, despite brutal government rations and curfews. She goes to the “Kennels” every day searching for her parents, and when she finds her mother, she’s eager to bring her home. Maybe, eventually, they’ll be able to get back to the way things were before. But even though it seems that her mother is getting better (something that the government says is impossible), there will be no happy transition. Anti-Connie sentiment is high, and rumor has it that an even worse wave of the Contamination is imminent. And then the government declares that the Connies will be rounded up and neutralized, once and for all.
Sacrificing everything – her boyfriend, her home, and her job – Velvet will do anything to protect her mother. Velvet has to get the collar off her mother before the military comes to take her away. Even if it means risking all of their lives.
Gritty and grabbing, Contaminated is a harrowing, emotionally charged dystopic venture into YA from a well-known and respected writer of women’s fiction.
Read an excerpt
Enter the giveaway via the widget below – Open to US
Click below for more Deadly Destinations
About the author
- Cover Art Coverage: 11 New Titles!August 13, 2014
- Deadly Destinations: Gina Rosati & win AURACLEAugust 8, 2012