**Visit Dark Faerie Tales today for her Deadly Destination tour of Carrie Vaughn’s SF Chinatown from Kitty Norville & a chance to win KITTY’S BIG TROUBLE**
Today’s Deadly Destination takes us to the book within the book city of Otherworld Chicago, an alternate reality full of vampires that has been written about as a popular fiction series in Allison van Diepen’s THE VAMPIRE STALKER (read my review HERE), think TWILIGHT meets Kate & Leopold. Vampire hunter Alex Banks crossed over into our reality from his in the book and he’s back today warning us how to survive in his world. Want to get your hands on the book? Point/Scholastic has provided copies for 3 random commenters. See details below
A missive for citizens: Ten Rules of Survival in Otherworld Chicago
By Alexander Banks, Vampire Stalker (Allison van Diepen)
…From The Daily Sentinel
10. There is no such thing as peaceful coexistence. Vampires must not, under any circumstances, be trusted.
9. Remember that a human can change into a vampire in a matter of hours. Resist the temptation to let even a trusted family member or friend into your home if you suspect they have been turned.
8. It takes years of training to become adept at hunting vampires. If you have not acquired the proper skill, resist the urge to join the hunt.
7. Be vigilant even in the daytime. The threat of starvation has caused some vampires to adopt disguises in order to circulate in daylight.
6. Do not leave your residence after curfew. While the police claim to be patrolling the streets after dark, I have seen no evidence of it. They cannot protect you.
5. If you anticipate the need for urgent medical care, such as the birth of a child, try to secure residence at a hospital so you will not need to travel after dark.
4. Avoid alcohol or opiates. You must have your faculties about you at all times.
3. Preparedness is essential: Store at least one week of food and supplies in case overcast weather forces you to remain in your home.
2. Do your utmost to assist the vampire hunters who are striving to take back our streets. Without them, the vampire population would soar and we would lose control of our city.
1. Never develop amorous feelings for any of the vampire species.
About Allison van Diepen
Allison van Diepen is the author of six teen novels: Street Pharm, Snitch, Raven, The Oracle of Dating, The Oracle Rebounds, and The Vampire Stalker. Her novels have been named ALA Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers and New York City Public Library Books for the Teen Age.
Allison holds degrees in History and Education. She is currently Head of English at an alternative high school, where her focus is on literacy. She lives with her husband and son in Ottawa, Canada.
Visit Allison online:
Want to read more from Allison?
Giveaway provided by Point/Scholastic
3 copies of THE VAMPIRE STALKER by Allison van Diepen
Available now from Point/Scholastic
I glanced at him, and felt like the air had been sucked out of me.
His profile was straight and chiseled. Dark brown hair curled slightly over the collar of his long, cape-like coat. A line from Otherworld came to mind: He would have been classically handsome were it not for the forbidding expression on his face.
I gave my head a shake. After all I’d just been through, I was still thinking of Alexander Banks. It must have been a mirage—my mind’s way of bringing me comfort after the terror.
What if the characters in a vampire novel left their world–and came into yours?
Amy is in love with someone who doesn’t exist: Alexander Banks, the dashing hero in a popular series of vampire novels. Then one night, Amy meets a boy who bears an eerie resemblance to Alexander. In fact, he IS Alexander, who has escaped from the pages of the book and is in hot pursuit of a wicked vampire named Vigo. Together, Amy and Alexander set out to track Vigo and learn how and why Alexander crossed over. But when she and Alexander begin to fall for each other, Amy wonders if she even wants him to ever return to the realm of fiction.
Open to US addresses only, no PO Boxes
Leave a comment for Allison & a way to contact you unless it’s listed in your profile
All Deadly Destinations winners will be announced on August 7th
See our Giveaway Policy if you have any questions
Interested in guest blogging on All Things Urban Fantasy? CONTACT ME
About the author
- Review: Towering by Alex FlinnMay 18, 2013